I mentioned a few posts ago that I should have planted more bulbs for spring. Maybe it wasn’t a post, it might have been in the podcast. Either way, I was talking about it somewhere! I’m seriously missing the fact that there are no new tulips, ranunculus, hyacinths, or anything else currently in bloom. However, I’ve still got my daffodils! I’ve got daffodils blooming everywhere!
With a little extra spare time on my hands, it was inevitable that I would eventually get the bright idea to try creating my own daffodil hybrid!
I’ll admit, when it comes to plant breeding, I am the absolute definition of the word “amateur”. I really don’t have a clue what I’m doing, but after consulting the internet – I decided I would try!
At a basic level, I proceeded as follows:
- Find a pollen donor.
- Find a seed parent.
- Remove pollen via tweezers, paintbrush, etc.
- Apply pollen to stigma of seed parent.
- Tag and wait to collect seeds.
It’s important to realize that things are totally not as simplistic as I make them seem in this post. I usually aim for simplicity whenever I write about things that I don’t fully have a grasp of. I’m sure there are tons of factors that I’ve not even given thought. For example, daffodils have “perfect” flowers which enable them to potentially self-pollinate. I honestly have no idea at what rate this occurs. I’m sure removing pollen from the seed parent would be an important step if one was out to create an uncontaminated cross. There are various types of narcissus, and I can’t say with certainty that all types will readily/freely cross with each other. You get the idea. One of the reasons that I love blogging and social media so much is to share experiences and ideas – even if something that I try is a complete failure, it may actually be helpful to someone out there!
For more info, check out the YouTube video that goes with this blog post: